How to join Ocean Grove Surf Lifesaving Club
Memberships for the 2018/2019 season opened in August 2018.
- Children must be 7 years of age on or before 30 September in the year of application for their membership to be accepted. Children under the age of 13 must join with at least one parent.
- All members between the age of 13 and 30 years (who are not parents of Nippers) are required to participate in 16 hours of compulsory patrol per season.
- Senior Carnival Competitors and Patrollers (13+) are required to hold a Surf Rescue Certificate or Bronze Medallion. For infomation on swim requirements etc: Award prerequisites If a family member is turning 13 by Sept 30, they should gain their award at SRC/Bronze Week, a six-day intensive course just before Christmas. The course includes all meals and manual, and costs approximately $350.
- Nipper Surf Sport parents should join as General members unless they hold a Bronze Medallion (if so, they are Associates). Nipper Surf Sport parents are required to have a Working With Children Check (WWCC).
- Nipper Surf Ed parents can join as social members without the need to obtain a WWCC.
Step 1: Apply
Apply for membership at Lifesaving Online
If you have been a member of a Lifesaving club anywhere in Australia at any time in the past you will need to apply for a transfer. If you can't remember the year you were last a member, try SLSA Helpline 1300 724 006.
You must apply for EACH family member (starting with the 'primary' member, which might be yourself). Click on the link at the confirmation screen to input another family member. You will be redirected back to the application form for the next person with some pre-filled information such as address and contact details.
If you are having trouble creating your accounts or would like more information, please open SLSA - How to Join or Rejoin a Club.
Step 2: Pay
At the end of this process you will have an opportunity to pay with a credit card. Click on the 'make payment' button that appears after you have submitted your application. OGSLSC fees are listed for you. You have to manually enter the amount (since fees and categories differs from club to club). Please list the family surname in "details".
Please note that your membership application will not be processed UNTIL payment is received. Do not wait for confirmation from OGSLSC before paying. If you've missed the opportunity to pay on the SLSA joining page, you can do so via the 'Other Payments/Donations' link on this website's homepage.
Step 3: Working with Children Check
- All members over 18 years of age must have a valid WWCC.
- Since not all states require this, evidence must be manually supplied to OGSLSC administration (email firstname.lastname@example.org). Memberships will not be processed until this information has been provided (refer next bullet point). There is a link on the right side of this website page.
- Sighting your WWCC is not sufficient evidence, as it does not confirm that Life Saving Victoria and OGSLSC are listed as organisations that you have dealings with. Your existing volunteer or employee WWCC can be updated to include Life Saving Victoria and OGSLSC (update via link on right side of this website page; see Working with Children Check tab for more info). A WWCC assessment notice or a copy of your MyCheck home screen (for renewals and change of details) MUST be received by the admin office before a senior membership will be processed.
- The ONLY adult members allowed to opt out of WWCC requirements are parents of Surf Ed Nippers. They are labelled 'Social Members' and cannot assist with programs or access the changerooms. If your children become involved in Surf Sport, WWCC will be required.
- Teachers and police officers DO still need to hold a WWCC to be OGSLSC members (although their registrations say that they are officially exempt). We have the right to require this because, if there was a child related conviction, the WWCC system is the only way that organisations such as OGSLSC would be notified.
- There is further detail in the Working wth Children Check tab under Memberships.
- Both senior and junior members who compete in surf sport will be charged an annual levy of $30. Junior members who train and/or compete will also be charged a board levy that varies from year to year (for 2017/18 it was $50).
- Both senior and junior members who compete in carnivals will be charged a carnival entry fee. Payment of this fee will be required before members are registered for the event. For 2017/18 this fee was $26 for standard carnivals.
If you are not able to apply online, you can pick up a membership form from OGSLSC. The office is open from 9am-5pm Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. There is a processing fee of $30 per application for hard copy membership forms.