How to join Ocean Grove Surf Lifesaving Club
Memberships for the 2020/2021 season are now open.
For 2020/21 pricing and categories, see Membership/Membership Fees.
Unfortunately as at 4 August 2020, the club has been closed due to COVID-19 stage 3 restrictions. This is due for review on 13 September 2020. We will keep members updated and thank you for your support.
Office staff are working remotely so please email any queries to email@example.com
Children must be 7 years of age on or before 30 September in the year of application for their membership to be accepted. Children under the age of 13 must join with at least one parent/guardian. Teens up to age 18 who are participating in Surf Sport must join with parent(s) as well.
All members between the age of 13 and 30 years (who are not parents of Nippers) are required to participate in 16 hours of compulsory patrol per season.
Senior Carnival Competitors and Patrollers (13+) are required to hold a Surf Rescue Certificate or Bronze Medallion. For infomation on swim requirements etc: Award prerequisites. If a family member is turning 13 by Sept 30, they are expected to gain their award at SRC/Bronze Week, a six-day intensive course just before Christmas. The course includes all meals and manual, and costs approximately $330.
Nipper parents should join as Supporters/General members unless they hold (or have ever held) a Bronze Medallion (in which case they are Associates).
ALL adults (including parents of Surf Ed nippers) are required to have a Working With Children Check (WWCC) with OGSLSC listed on it. Only Social members are exempt.
- The membership year runs from 1 August to 31 July.
- Families can join at any time during the season, subject to Nipper numbers. Nipper numbers will be capped if demand exceeds capacity. As a guide, last season Nipper enrolments closed in November 2019. Any Nipper cap will be published in this website.
- Scroll to the bottom for links to 'How to...' / Help documents.
Hospitality Social memberships
- Hospitality Social membership allows for access to hospitality areas only. Members can enter the upstairs bar and lounge when it is open (Thurs-Sundays from 4pm during the season).
- Limited numbers may apply - this webpage will advise if the quota is reached.
- Apply to join via Lifesaving Online link below, and pay $55 fee per adult. Applications will not be actioned without payment.
- Members can sign in up to two visitors to the club's hospitality area (bar and meals). Adults only - please leave off children if you are joining as social members (they can accompany parent(s) in). A couple might decide to take one or two memberships.
- If you are a past member of OGSLSC you should renew via your SLSA Members Area. If you have ever been a member of another surf club in the past, you will require a transfer. See second bullet point below; contact club administrator for assistance.
Step 1: Apply
Apply for membership at Lifesaving Online All categories of membership (including Social) are applied for the same way.
If you have been a member of a Lifesaving club anywhere in Australia at any time in the past you will need to apply for a transfer. Either OGSLSC or your old club can help you with this. If you can't remember the year you were last a member, try SLSA Helpline 1300 724 006.
Select Family or Individual. You must apply for EACH family member (starting with the 'primary' member, which might be yourself) then the others on subsequent rows.
The system will prompt you to set up an SLSA Member Area account. This is essential for club payments, renewals and change of details.
Step 2: Pay
At the end of this process you will be asked to pay with a credit card. Click on the 'make payment' button that appears after you have submitted your application(s). OGSLSC fees are listed for you. You have to manually enter the amount (since fees and categories differs from club to club). Please list the family surname in "details".
Please note that your membership application will not be progressed UNTIL payment is received. Once you've applied, even if you've skipped payment, a generic automatic email will come to you from Surf Life Saving Australia that implies that you should wait to hear from the club. This confuses some pending members.
Do not wait for communication from OGSLSC before paying. If you've missed the opportunity to pay on the SLSA joining page, you can do so via the Members/Member Payments tabs on this website. You don't need a password to access this area.
Unpaid applications will be rejected after a few months.
Step 3: Working with Children Check
All members over 18 years of age (except Hospitality Social members) must have a valid WWCC.
Since not all states require this, you will not see any reference to WWCC on your online application (email firstname.lastname@example.org). Memberships will not be processed until WWCC requirements have been completed (refer next bullet point).
Sighting your WWCC is not sufficient evidence, as it does not confirm that Life Saving Victoria and OGSLSC are listed as organisations that you have dealings with. Your existing volunteer or employee WWCC must be updated: ('add organisation') to include Life Saving Victoria and OGSLSC, with correct postal addresses. www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au, see Working with Children Check tab for more info. If you don't already have a WWCC, apply for one and list OGSLSC as an organisation on it. An automatic hard copy WWCC assessment notice or an emailed copy of your MyCheck home screen MUST be received by the admin office before an adult membership will be processed.
Hospitality Social members are the ONLY adult members allowed to opt out of WWCC requirements since they can only access the public area upstairs, with no access to changerooms etc downstairs.
Teachers and police officers DO still need to hold a WWCC to be OGSLSC members (although their registrations say that they are officially exempt). We have the right to require this because, if there was a child related conviction, the WWCC system is the only way that organisations such as OGSLSC would be notified. Even with recent changes to how VIT communicates to WWCC, LSV policy still requires OGSLSC to adhere to this.
We encourage you to refer to further detail in the Working wth Children Check tab under Memberships.
- Both senior and junior members who compete in surf sport will be charged an annual levy of $30. Junior members who train and/or compete will also be charged a board levy that varies from year to year (for 2020/21 it is $50).
- Both senior and junior members who compete in carnivals will be charged a carnival entry fee. Payment of this fee will be required before members are registered for the event. For 2019/20 this fee was $32 for standard carnivals. LSV confirms the fee around October each year.
'How to' / Help documents
These documents include screenshots that might help if you're having trouble!
- How to join as a New Member
- How to create a Members Area account
- How to rejoin after a Period of Absence
- How to renew an Individual or Family Membership
- How to Partially or Fully Transfer a Club Membership
- How to create a Family Group for Existing Members
If you are not able to apply online, you can pick up a membership form from OGSLSC. The office is open from 9am-5pm Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. There is a processing fee of $30 per application for hard copy membership forms.